- Immersion is the fastest-growing and most effective type of academic foreign language program available.
- Because students are immersed in the language all day every day, they acquire the language faster and better than students in traditional foreign language classes.
- Not only do students develop proficiency in the immersion language, they also develop increased cultural awareness.The ability to interpret cross-cultural interactions is crucial in today's world.
- Foreign language immersion develops more flexible thinking and has a positive effect on students' cognitive development.
- Immersion students ultimately achieve as well as or better than their non-immersion peers on standardized tests that measure verbal and mathematical skills in English.
Chinese is a practical language to learn, given that China is the world's most populous nation and it has many political and economic ties with the U.S. Being bilingual in Chinese and English will open many doors for our students in the future.
How does Hopkins' immersion program work?
In kindergarten through second grade, all subject matter is taught in Mandarin Chinese for the full day. English language arts is introduced in third grade for one hour per day. By fifth and sixth grade, there is an even distribution of English and the immersion language. Music and physical education are delivered in English. School services including the nurse, counselors, media specialists, and office staff services are also in English so they can be shared with the rest of the school.
Want to see it in action? Watch the XinXing video:
What is the enrollment process?
Information meetings are scheduled in the Fall, beginning in October. Dates and times will be posted on our school calendar. Applications are due by January 15. Priority is given to Hopkins District residents, but we have welcomed many open-enrolled students to our program over the years. Registration will remain open until the program is at capacity. Class sizes will range from 21 to 27 students, with the average class to be about 24 students.
What is the tuition for kindergarten?
There is no cost for tuition; XinXing is a free public school program.
Is transportation provided?
Transportation to XinXing Academy will be provided at no cost to Hopkins Public Schools' students. Information about transportation for open-enrolled students is available here.
Will before- and after-school child care be available?
Before- and after-school child care is available through Kids & Company. For information, please contact Kids & Company at 952.988.4080 or visit their website.
What role will parents play in XinXing Academy?
Although most of our parents do not speak Chinese, they still play a very important role in our program. We expect parents to read to their children daily in their home language to help them develop literacy skills. Parents can also help their children with the concepts they are learning in school through weekly homework activities that reinforce what they are learning. Parents will also be invited to help organize special classroom celebrations. The parent group is very active and has many volunteer opportunities available for parents who want to be involved.