Services for Non-Public School Students

The state requires all school districts to provide special education services to students with disabilities who attend non-public schools within the school district's borders. Other services for non-public school students are nursing services for students in grades K through 12 and guidance and counseling services for secondary students (grades 7 through 12).

Districts must identify students who are potentially eligible for special education services, and, once identified, offer parents a plan for services.

The public school district may provide special education instruction and services at the nonpublic school building, a public school, or at a neutral site other than a nonpublic school. The public school district determines the location, student by student. 

What are the disability areas eligible for services?

Students must meet specific criteria determined by the Minnesota Department of Education. There are 13 disability categories for services:

  • Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD)
  • Deaf-Blind (DB)
  • Deaf and Hard of Hearing (DHH)
  • Developmental Cognitive Disability: Mild to Moderate (DCD-MM) or Moderate-Severe (DCD-MS)
  • Early Childhood Special Education (ECSE)
  • Emotional or Behavioral Disorders (EBD)
  • Other Health Disabilities (OHD)
  • Physically Impaired (PI)
  • Severely Multiply Impaired (SMI)
  • Specific Learning Disability (SLD)
  • Speech or Language Impairments (SPL)
  • Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
  • Visually Impaired (VI)

More information about each of the above categories is available at one of the links below.

What guidance and counseling services are available?

Another educational benefit provided, under state law, to nonpublic students in grades 7 through 12 is guidance and counseling services. This means all of the typical activities of a licensed school counselor in counseling pupils and parents, including assisting in personal and social development and career and post-secondary planning.

Hopkins Public Schools provides secondary guidance services to Blake School, Breck School, The International School of MN, Minnetonka Christian Academy and Notre Dame Academy. Parents seeking career and college planning information for their children attending nonpublic schools are also welome to use the resources on the Hopkins High School College & Career Center website at the link in the resources box.

For more information about services you can request, see the contact list linked below, or consult the state statute, also linked below.


Contacts for Services to Non-Public School Students

These are the people to contact if you believe your student attending a non-public school may quality for special education services: